Life is sometimes unpredictable. Proper estate planning can provide you with peace of mind, ensuring that your affairs are in order regardless of what life brings. Having a Will is one of the most important things you can do for those you love. We offer Estate Planning Services such as Wills, Powers of Attorney, Family Trust, Henson Trusts and Business Succession Planning, to name a few.
Why do I need a will?
Under the law, if you die without a Will your estate will be distributed in accordance with current legislation, which may be different than you would have intended. Dying without a Will can cost your family money, time and aggravation – leaving them to deal with the issues of your estate distribution without your guidance.
Do I need a lawyer to prepare my Will?
You do not need a lawyer to prepare a Will; however preparing it yourself may cause problems that will only surface after you die, such as improper wording or overlooked details. Having a lawyer prepare your Will means that you can rest assured it is properly prepared and cannot be contested at a later date.
At Cruickshank & MacLennan Muskoka law office, you will be provided with a wills checklist which will assist you in determining your estate plan and assist in the Will creation process. Please contact our office to obtain a copy of the checklist and schedule a free consultation appointment*.
I already have a valid Will, should it be reviewed?
Questions you should ask yourself in determining whether or not your Will should be reviewed are:
• When did you last review your Will?
• When did you sign your Will?
• Are all your beneficiaries still alive?
• Have you had children/grandchildren since the date of your Will?
• Are all your executors still alive?
• Are your beneficiaries and executors still the right choices for you?
• Have you married since the date of your Will? If Yes, are you aware that marriage revokes a pre-existing Will?
• Are you separated from your spouse? If Yes, do you know that separation does not revokes your Will?
• Have your assets changed since your last Will?
Please contact us for a free consultation and a free Will review*.
*The first 30 minutes of a consultation is free.